Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Last Day at Emafini

Today was our last day working at Emafini Primary School. Our visit has been so short but so meaningful at the same time. We led a professional development session to show the teachers how to use thinking maps, which they seemed excited about implementing. 

I taught a final lesson in my grade 7 class in which I asked the students what I should teach my high school students about South Africa  when I return to school. Many students told me to teach about apartheid and the greatness of Nelson Mandela. My favorite response to my question was : "Teach about how we welcomed you at Emafini  primary school in grade 7. We are the people that love other people living in other countries like your country. Thank you for coming to this school and we love you all." That pretty much sums up my visit.

Girls reading the books from my Honors World History class:


The teacher who allowed me into her classroom:

This is the grade 7B class (so one of four grade 7 classes)


"Selfie" time (yes this was popular among girls here also)


We have made a wonderful connection at this school. Even though I was only there for a week, this experience will share my life forever. One of my classmates is the technology director for his county and he was able to set up Skype in the principal's office, so I am hoping to connect one of my classes with the school this upcoming school year. I am looking forward to what this global connection will do for myself and my future learners! 

No comments:

Post a Comment